Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day 3.2

So I finally got to wandering around the city today. I visited Kalemegdan Fortress which is about 10 minutes away from my apartment. It's absolutely breathtaking. Just like a fairytale castle!

According to my Bradt guide book, Kalemegdan Park was created in 1867 by Prince Mihailo Obrenović on the occasion of Belgrade fortress being handed back to the Serbs.








The first military defenses were built on the plateau by the Celts. The Romans then expanded upon them as did the Serbs later under Stefan Lazarevic during the 14th and 15th centuries.




During Turkish occupation the fortress fell into disuse. It was rebuilt by the Austrians during 18th century.




















Sadly I did not get to see the entirety of the park-- its huge. The storm clouds started to roll in (you can see them in this last picture ) and I had to dash back to the apartment.

This is either the Danube or the Sava-- the fortress is right at their intersection so I was getting confused!

Anyways more to follow :)

laku noc!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you like Kalemegdan and your position (apartment) in the city!I quess that you ment 1867. and that you turned your numbers upside down and mixed them a little bit when you were writing about a year when Mihailo got the keys of the fortress!:)
    Milos

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops! What would I do without you Milos :-p Thanks! It's corrected now :-p

    ReplyDelete